What did you work on?
Project name: Fabric-Ethereum token bridging
- Review cross-chain bridges state of the art.
- Study and develop chaincode and smart contracts following ERC standards.
- Prototype a cross-chain bridge between Hyperledger Fabric and EVM-based blockchains. Hyperledger Technologies: Hyperledger Fabric, Hyperledger Besu, Hyperledger Cactus.
- Imre Kocsis, assistant professor, Budapest University of Technology and Economics (BME), Budapest, Hungary.
- László Gönczy, assistant professor, Budapest University of Technology and Economics (BME), Budapest, Hungary.
Impact yielded from work:
This work constitutes an add-on to the existing efforts to enable interoperability between permissioned networks. Moreover, we contribute to the community by developing a cross-chain bridge between Hyperledger Fabric and EVM-based blockchains using the Secure Asset Transfer Protocol (SATP), a protocol under standardization at the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF).
What did you learn or accomplish?
- Create a report on blockchain interoperability solutions.
- Design a cross-chain bridge between a Hyperledger Fabric and a Hyperledger Besu network.
- Implement a prototype of the designed cross-chain bridge solution in Hyperledger Cactus.
- Develop an academic paper.
- At the beginning there were a lot of unknowns: a new area, protocols, and new technology. After all, I am glad about the final product and all the lessons learned.
Lessons learned and advice:
- The community is here to help. We had fruitful discussions with various members of the Hyperledger community, which proved to be valuable for the final project.
- The best is always yet to come. Believe me when I say things will always be better than they are at the moment — bugs appear, and sometimes we need to take a step back to take two steps forward.
- Hyperledger Fabric was considered the most adopted enterprise blockchain solution.
- Hyperledger Cactus provides the building blocks for interoperability.
- The integration of Self-Sovereign Identity (SSI) with interoperability solutions seems to be the way forward to perform identity management.
What comes next?
- The addition of SSI in our work seems a good next step as a way to remove some assumptions made in the solution design.
- I envision to continue working and advancing the existing interoperability research. I aim to continue contributing to Hyperledger Cactus (now Hyperledger Cacti), the Hyperledger project directed toward interoperability.